Friday, October 31, 2008

scary time


On Thursday, October 16, 2008 I had to leave work early for an emergency trip to the local hospital. I began bleeding, heavy enough to worry a mommy-to-be. My boss drove me to the hospital and had to do things that were above and beyond her job description and definitely things that should not have to be done on Bosses' Day of all days. Don arrived at the hospital shortly after us. I had to give a urine sample and had an IV placed in my left hand almost immediately. It was a scary, scary time, and it was looking as if I might be having a miscarriage. Fortunately, after many tests and two types of ultrasounds, we were soooooo relieved to see that our baby's heart was beating and there was some movement. Everything else looked fine, too. Don was able to see the monitor better than I could and saw that our baby was sucking its thumb! I was able to see this at the follow-up visit the next day. On Friday, I took the day off (pre-arranged by my boss and the secretarial staff) and went to see my delivery doctor for the first time. He was nice and reassured me that everything looked healthy and fine. The baby is approximately 3.5 inches and 1 oz. There was lots of movement today, including kicking legs and thumb sucking. So cute and such a relief to see! Here is a copy of Friday's ultrasound.

No comments: